Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Posting for the Sake of Posting

See, I knew this would happen. I finally bite the bullet on the blogging thing, then I don't do a post for over a month. Truth is, I've spread myself a little thin lately. Since most of the people that stumble across this blog are looking for me, I figured it's only fair to let you know what I've been up to.

The Day Job
Since last summer, I've been working for a long-time friend and colleague at Radius Online. Radius provides an all-in-one website and local search engine optimization solution for small businesses. For a low monthly fee, small businesses get a domain, hosting, professional website, content management and ongoing local search engine marketing help. For example, if you're an auto repair business in Decatur, Georgia, we make sure you show up in search terms for local auto repair. While there is a lot of competition from paid services like Yodle, Yelp!, ReachLocal and a lot of Pay-Per-Lead services out there, we're holding our own, delivering some great organic results for clients across the U.S. By the time you read this, we'll have more than 1,500 customers on our program.

I'm managing business development for Radius, integrating our solution with partners, resellers and affiliates serving the small business sector - which is a tall order. While the economy stinks all around, we believe this is the one area small businesses can safely invest to grow their businesses. We've actually seen demand increase for our services so far this year, and several big partners are evaluating our solution as part of their offerings.

The Startup
As some of you know, I've wanted to start a software company for a while. I think there are a lot of unmet needs for new solutions in the PR sector. For the past year or so, I've been working on developing a new product for journalists and PR professionals. While we're still keeping things under wraps, you can start to follow what we're up to on Twitter and the blog. Our first product will be available by mid-summer, and it looks like we'll have more than enough users lined up to take things for a test drive. It's an exciting time to be developing a solution for journalists, bloggers and PR professionals, since all of these segments are going through some big changes. I've been fortunate to pull a great team together, and I hope to be sharing much more of our progress with you soon.

My Other Startups
I now have three wonderful children four and under. Ethan just turned four, Ella is 17 months, and Alexa is five months. All the kids are doing well, but three little ones can be more than the Gabe and I can handle at sometimes. Seriously though, kids are the best startups of all, right? If you're not hanging out with me on Facebook, consider adding me as your friend. I've tried to keep the photos current, but they sure do grow up fast.

Lacrosse Coach
I remain dedicated to growing lacrosse in the Metro Atlanta area. For the second year now, I'm volunteering with the Henry County YMCA to help them build a sustainable youth lacrosse program. We've recently signed up to participate in the Georgia Youth Lacrosse Association and have eight games on the schedule for this spring. Somehow I manage to make it to a couple of practices and a game each week. Thankfully a lot of other people have stepped up to help the program this year, and it's exciting to see the growth and interest in lacrosse in our area. We now have more than 60 boys and 10 girls signed up in the program. I wouldn't be surprised to see this number double again by next season. If you have an interest in lacrosse, and you live anywhere near Henry County, let me know.

PR & Marketing Consulting
I continue to consult with several high-tech startups in the Atlanta area, around the areas of PR, marketing communications and social media. I like variety and startups, so it's a good opportunity for me to spice things up a bit (and bring in a little extra scratch for those hungry mouths at home). If you want to talk shop, or you need help on marketing or PR for your startup, please consider contacting me through LinkedIn.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, I really don't have that much going on. I'm sure you're all as busy as I am. But on the off chance that you were hoping for more frequent updates to Jeremy Porter's blog, I can't make any promises. I have a bunch of post ideas bouncing around in my head. If there's anything around my areas of interest or expertise that you'd like me to blog about, please make a suggestion in the Skribit box on this blog. I hope you're all doing well. Thanks for stopping by to read my blog.

No comments: